Saturday 7 January 2012

A sudden realisation...

I have realised, after many meetings at University, many conversations with friends and a considerable amount of time, that it may appear like I am producing very little work! I am hiding my thoughts, feelings and the bulk of my work in my sketchbooks, which can be shut again after the recording has taken place and then look no different than if no recording had taken place! Am I doing myself a disservice by hiding my exhaustive recording away? I am working in my sketchbooks most evenings and on opening them this is clear but what if nobody opens my sketchbooks at the exhibition? It may appear that I have very little work because the majority of it is not large or bulky or three dimensional. However, if I were to remove my sketchbooks then the remaining work would not make sense. My work means nothing without those little books. I only hope people take the time to open them and have a peek (but not for too long or read them in too much detail because that thought terrifies me and would open up my world to far too many people. No strangers allowed!) All I need to consider now is how these books will be displayed in the exhibition. I've been thinking about making some wooden cabinets for them or perhaps find an old antique/vintage one to create my own cabinet of curiosities, then I can include my three dimensional fabric objects aswell. Clearly this will need more thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment