Tuesday 10 January 2012

The digital drawing continues...

I'm still considering the large scale (possibly A1) prints of my drawings to be displayed on the wall of my exhibition space. As a result I have been very busy creating digital illustrations from my original drawings of the hoardings of objects in my life. I want these digital illustrations to still have all the 'quirks' and imperfections of my original drawings so have been playing around with suitable ways to do this. I've been using Illustrator as it gives me control over the thickness of line I am using to create my illustrations and so this more closely resembles my drawing style.


I love the simplicity and the diagrammatical quality of the illustrations. They feel like a diagram of my life! They also look quite like the images you may find in a child's colouring in book. I like that! I actually have an urge to colour them in myself. I have to admit though that I would be very particular about staying in the lines. There's also something quite refreshing about having the ability to reproduce these images as much as I choose, unlike the majority of my other work that are 'one offs!'

I came across a designer called Tim Boelaars whilst I was perusing the usual websites for inspiration and I was quite taken with the simplicity of his work. It reminded me of the digtal illustrations I have been creating.


Although they are more simplistic than my illustrations I love the grouping of them in to little collections of related objects. This is what my initial drawings were all about. Perhaps I should consider a more uniform approach to my presentation but would that suggest a more rigidly organised person created them? Don't get me wrong I am super organised but there is a little inner chaos going on and I feel the arrangement of my objects on the page hints at that. 






No comments:

Post a Comment