Wednesday 11 January 2012

The addition of texture...

As I've been quite unsure about the addition of colour on my digital illustrations I've decided to confuse matters even further and add texture. I know, I'll never learn. Giving myself more options is really not a good thing but it just felt like a natural progression to me.

The addition of texture makes the illustrations feel very different from the diagrammatical qualities of the black and white line illustrations. I think this is what I like about them. They feel more like actual objects and not flat illustrations. However, I'm still not sure of the outcome I want. I suppose my sketchbooks offer flat, two dimensional illustrations in abundance and it would be a good idea to introduce further variety to my work.


Although the texture is subtle (compare it to the 'addition of colour' post and you'll see!) I do like the finish. I think they work better when the textured illustrations are grouped together.
Do you know, I think this is the look I will go for in my three large scale pieces. I think I have cracked it! I'm excited about it now and can visualise what I want the pieces to look like. Now there is just the small task of creating all the illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment